SmartyPants is a web publishing utility that translates plain ASCII punctuation characters into “smart” typographic punctuation HTML entities. This plugin allows you to conditionally enable SmartyPants for a single post/entry, affecting the
the_content, and the
the_excerpt fields by simply adding a custom field named
smartypants-on-demand with a value of 1. Replace
1 with a
0 or simply delete the custom field to use WP’s
Why not use SmartyPants all the time? Currently, PHP SmartyPants is significantly slower than WP’s
texturize() by as much as 20% in certain situations. If an entry’s punctuations is handled well by
texturize(), then there is no need to use SmartyPants. But if encounter funny punctuations, try SmartyPants instead.
- rp-smartypants-on-demand–1.0.zip Version 1.01 (December 2, 2004)
- rp-smartypants-on-demand–1.0.zip Version 1.0 (June 15, 2004)
- PHP4 (version 4.0.6 or higher)
- GD Library (version 2)
For now, everything you need to know is the zip file.
- Unzip the package in an empty directory.
- Drop rp-plugin-smartypants-on-demand.php into your wp-content/plugins/ directory, and activate in your Plugins menu.
- To enable SmartyPants for certain post/entry, just add a custom field named
smartypants-on-demandwith a value of 1.
- That’s it!